Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Basile commits to Iona

WATERVLIET — Steve Basile, a senior at Christian Brothers Academy and a member of the South Troy Dodgers' baseball program, has made his verbal commitment to pitch at Iona College, a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

Basile, a righthanded pitcher, chose Iona over MAAC rivals Fairfield and Siena and Central Connecticut, a member of the Northeast Conference.

“I took an official visit to Iona and I liked everything about it,” Basile said. “I really liked the coaches. I know their record hasn’t been great lately, but I think the program is improving and is about to turn it around. Coach (Pat) Carey (head coach) is very loyal to his players and that is important to me.”

Steve Basile pitches for Christian Brothers Academy in a game against La Salle Institute on May 13, 2010 at Joe Bruno Stadium in Troy. (Photo by J.S. Carras - The Record).

A native of Watervliet, Basile led the Brothers to the quarterfinal round in the Section II Class AA tournament this spring and was a first team Big 10 Conference All-Star and a fifth-team All-State Class AA selection. Later in the summer, he appeared in the 17-and-under Don Mattingly World Series with the South Troy Dodgers.

Iona finished the 2010 season with a 9-40 record. Since 2002, the Gaels have posted an overall record of 120-322-1.

Basile improved his scholarship positioning in 2010 by improving from spring to summer to fall, figuring out the mental side of the game on the mound.

“I’ve always had good velocity, but I really learned how to pitch,” said Basile. “I learned how to get ahead and I learned what to do when I have a 0-2 count.”

Basile credited former CBA head coach Dave Doemel, South Troy Dodgers pitching coach Wayne Jones and Nick Davey, an assistant with the Albany Dutchmen of the New York Collegiate Baseball League with which he took lessons in improving his pitching technique.

Former CBA teammate Chris Sand and former La Salle Institute product Kyle Charron are both sophomores on the Iona team. Charron, a Schaghticoke native, and Sand, from Altamont, both played on South Troy Dodgers teams in the summer and fall as well.

“I’ve been a good friends of Chris’ for a long time. We played together when I was a sophomore at CBA,” Basile said. “It can only be a good thing for me and it can only help to already know some people when I get there.”

Basile plans on majoring in business at Iona.

Once the fall baseball season wraps up in a few weeks, it’s time for Basile to hit the ice. He is a center on the CBA hockey team.

“It was a really long process and it was starting to get old,” laughed Basile of his college search. “It’s a big weight off my shoulders.

“I have hockey season coming up at my school and I’m going to take a break from baseball for a couple of months, but I’ll get back into it later in the winter.”

Steve Basile's 2010 stat sheet:
High school, Christian Brothers Academy
3-3, 1.70 ERA, 41.0 IP, 42 SO, 10 BB
Summer, South Troy Dodgers
5-1, 1.11 ERA, 38.0 IP, 44 SO, 13 BB, 28 H
Fall, South Troy Dodgers
2-1-1, 1.65 ERA, 17.0 IP, 27 SO, 6 BB, 6 H

Follow OTR: Twitter
Facebook
YouTube Channel
RSS feed for links to blog posts as soon as they are published
Send an email to OTR
High school football central on www.troyrecord.com

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

The following comments represent views of the individuals making the comments. Comments are screened only to keep out spam and uncivil behavior. All opinions are welcome.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home